2002 UCSB, Ph.D. in Geography with Emphasis in Cognitive Science 2003-2004 President's Postdoctoral Fellowship UCSB
2002-2006 Postdoctoral Researcher, UCSB
2007-2009 Assistant Researcher, UCSB
2009- 2013 Research Scientist, VA Medical Center
2010- 2014 Adj. Assistant Professor, School of City and Regional Planning, Georgia Tech
2013- Assistant Project Scientist, Geography, UCSB
I have a broad background in working with blind populations concerning navigation of indoor and outdoor spaces, using GPS and location-based beacons, and in gaining access to spatial information through tactile and large print maps. As a post-doctoral fellow, I developed and conducted a survey to determine what kinds of user interfaces visually impaired people wanted in a navigation aid. I then developed and conducted five experiments that tested the efficacy of various interface designs to assist with independent travel for this population. As an assistant researcher at UCSB, I developed and tested a Large Print Map program to enable people to gain access to geographic information.
1. Marston, J.R. & Golledge, R.G. (2003). The Hidden Demand for Activity Participation and Travel by People with Vision Impairment or Blindness. Journal of Visual Impairment and Blindness, 97(8), 475 488.
2. Golledge, R.G., Marston, J.R., Loomis, J.M. & Klatzky, R.L. (2004). Stated preferences for components of a Personal Guidance System for non-visual navigation. Journal of Visual Impairment & Blindness, 98(3), 135-147.
3. Loomis, J.M., Marston, J.R., Golledge, R.G. & Klatzky, R.L. (2005). Personal guidance system for visually impaired people: Comparison of spatial displays for route guidance. Journal of Visual Impairment and Blindness, (99), 219-232.
4. Marston, J.R. & Church, R.L. (2005). A Relative Access Measure to Identify Barriers to Efficient Transit Use by Persons with Visual Impairments. Disability and Rehabilitation, 27(13), 769-779.
5. Marston, J.R., Loomis, J.M., Klatzky, R.L., Golledge, R.G. & Smith, E.L. (2006). Evaluation of Spatial Displays for Navigation Without Sight. ACM Transactions on Applied Perception, 3(2), 110-124.
6. Klatzky, R.L., Marston, J.R., Giudice, N.A., Golledge, R.G. & Loomis, J.M. (2006). Cognitive Load of Navigating without Vision when Guided by Virtual Sound versus Spatial Language. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Applied, 12(4), 223-232.
7. Loomis, J.M., Golledge, R.G., Klatzky, R.L. & Marston, J.R. (2007). Assisting wayfinding in visually impaired travelers. In G. L. Allen (Ed.), Applied spatial cognition: From research to cognitive technology, 179-203, Mahwah, N.J.: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
8. Marston, J.R., Loomis, J.M., Klatzky, R.L. & Golledge, R.G. (2007). Nonvisual Route Following with Guidance from a Simple Haptic or Auditory Display. Journal of Visual Impairment & Blindness, 101(4), 203-211.
9. Kulyukin, V., Nicholson, J., Ross, D., Marston, J.R. & Gaunet, F. (2008). The Blind Leading The Blind: Toward Collaborative Online Route Information Management by Individuals with Visual Impairments. Proceedings of the AAI Social Information Processing Symposium, AAI Press, 54-59.
10. Church, R.L. & Marston, J.R. (2003). Measuring Accessibility for People with a Physical Disability. Geographical Analysis, 35(1), 83-96