FUNDAMENTAL GEOGRAPHY THEMES AND CONCEPTS
What is GEOGRAPHY?
- Description of the earth.
Knowing when and where you are is part of human consciousness.
- Where are you? What day is it?
In studying and describing the earth, GEOGRAPHY shares certain approaches with HISTORY.
- History explores time contexts (When? & Why?)
- Geography explores spatial contexts (Where is it?, What is it like? Why there?)
- Any event occurring on the earth happens in a particular place and time context.
- Attributes of places experience change, as a rule, and that change occurs through the processes happening at that place (time-component) as well as resulting from interaction among places.
Basic knowledge of placename geography (toponymy) is an important and necessary prerequisite for understanding and applying the spatial perspective; a mode of analysis particular to geography.
- "Placename geography is to more advance geographic studies as learning to read is to studying literature; one cannot interpret the symbolism in poetry without first knowing how to read." (Stanfield, 2002)