October 30, 2014 - Important Notice to Isla Vista Residents: Important Dates and Restrictions Regarding Halloween Weekend
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW
If you have a party, know who your guests are:
- Check your lease. Some leases have restrictions during Halloween weekend, including no parties, no kegs, no overnight guests.
- No overnight guests are allowed in any of the UCSB residence halls beginning 5 p.m., Friday, 10/31 through 5 p.m., Sun., 11/2.
- Students want to Keep It Local and Keep it Safe! Please discourage out-of-town visitors to Halloween weekend. Don’t leave a friend stranded. Call a CSO evening escort at 893-2000. If your friends have been drinking, check on them. Stay with them if they need help.
KNOW WHAT’S LEGAL AND WHAT ISN’T - Note: Fines may vary due to circumstances.
- Furnishing alcohol to a minor: $4,070
- If a minor is driving and alcohol is in the vehicle (even if there is someone 21 or over, unless parent or guardian): $1000 + license suspension if under 21 + possible 30-day vehicle seizure.
- Possession of an open container: $235-$500
- Minor in possession of alcohol: $416 + $165 Youth Offender Program (or one-year license suspension if no YOP).
- Public intoxication: $375-$1000 (+ $165 Youth Offender Program if under 21)
- Public urination: $235 for first conviction.
- Possession of less than one ounce of marijuana (without a doctor’s prescription): $100 + license suspension if under 21.
- Under the influence of a controlled substance carries a mandatory 90-day jail sentence.
Noise and festival ordinance violations:
- $500 administrative fines (unpaid fines will appear on your credit report)
- Social host ordinance violations: $500 + required class for each resident. If law enforcement determines that Isla Vista has become unsafe for the public, roads will be closed by the County and proof of residency (lease agreement, utility bill, etc. with your name and Isla Vista address) may be required for vehicle entry.
The festival ordinance (6-70.01) is in effect from Sun., 10/26 through Sun., 11/4, each evening from 6 p.m. to 7 a.m. the following morning. This ordinance means no live or recorded music can be heard outside your residence and carries a $500 fine.
PARKING INFORMATION – ISLA VISTA All cars in following locations must be moved off the street by 3 p.m. on Friday, 10/31 until 6 a.m. on Sun., 11/2, or will be towed:
- 6500-6700 blocks of Del Playa
- 6500 block of Trigo
- Camino del Sur between Del Playa and Trigo
- Camino Pescadero between Del Playa and Trigo
- El Embarcadero between Del Playa and top of loop Cars parking in violation will be towed
PARKING INFORMATION – UCSB Registered UCSB undergraduates with the Annual Night & Weekend (N&W) Parking Permit (which must be displayed on inside of driver’s side windshield) are eligible to park in designated campus lots or structures from 11am on Friday , 10/31 to 7:30 a.m. on Mon.,11/3 . The current cost of the Undergraduate N&W permit is $35.00 plus $5.95 shipping & handling fee. The cost for the Undergraduate N&W parking permit as of October 1st will be $ $26.25 plus $5.95 shipping & handling fee Apply online for permit at www.tps.ucsb.edu. Select waitlist; once eligibility is approved, payment must be made to complete order and generate mailing of decal. To park on campus during these times you are encouraged to apply / order by October 17, 2014 to ensure your permit arrives by mail prior to Halloween weekend. Go to: http://www.tps.ucsb.edu/ to place your permit order. Only one permit per registered student.
Parking for Halloween weekend is allowed only in specific campus areas: 22 Parking Structure, 18 (Mesa) Parking Structure, and Lot 16, with overflow parking in Lots 30 and 38. All other campus lots and areas will be closed to public parking. Vehicle info must match permit, or it will be towed, resulting in a $300 citation plus tow charge. Individuals without a regular UCSB or N&W parking permit will not be allowed to park on campus; cars not displaying valid permits will be cited and towed. Temporary, paper permits will not be honored; vehicles must display the Annual N&W decal, Faculty, Staff, 22 IVA, or authorized special event permits to get past all check points on campus.
IVA 22 Storage Permit. The IVA 22 (Isla Vista Access) perit allows you to store your vehicle in 22 Parking. The permit does not restrict your ability to freely move your vehicle in and out of the parking structure. Who is eligible for 22 IVA? Community members as well as UCSB staff, faculty, and non-resident students are eligible to purchase the IVA 22 permit. The program accommodates up to 100 automobiles and motorcycles. NO out-of-town visitors will be allowed to park on campus or in local parking lots such as Calle Real, Camino Real Marketplace, Kmart, Girsh Park, University Village Plaza, Fairview Center or in local Goleta neighborhoods. Cars parked in violation will be towed. No taxis will be allowed to pick up or drop off on campus. Please visit: www.tps.ucsb.edu for more information on campus permits and parking restrictions.
POLICE ROADBLOCKS Police roadblocks will be placed at six intersections by 4 p.m. on Friday, 10/31 through 6 a.m. on Sun., 11/2. The roadblocks will prevent vehicle access to Del Playa, Sabado, and Trigo Roads, from 6500 through mid-6800 blocks. Police roadblocks will be set up to provide access for emergency vehicles and to keep excess traffic out of Isla Vista. For your convenience and safety, please observe these controlled access points. Roadblocks along Trigo, Sabado Tarde, and Del Playa will be set up at 4 p.m. each night until 3-4 a.m. the following morning. Vehicle access to Isla Vista from EI Colegio Road will remain open unless judged to be unsafe by the CHP or Sheriff’s Department. If roads are closed by public officials, proofof residency may be required to enter.
FIRST AID Emergency first aid for public at Embarcadero Loop (Embarcadero del Mar/El Embarcadero) Friday, 10/31; and Sat., 11/1, from 8:00pm – 3:00am Search and Rescue unit at Camino Pescadero and Trigo to respond to emergency first aid needs.